Bioinformatics Systems Analyst
We are looking for a Bioinformatics Systems Analyst to help us build cutting-edge research platforms. We seek an individual to work on our multidisciplinary team of data scientists, medical doctors, post-doctoral fellows, project managers, and software developers. The goal of our efforts is to transform healthcare and research to usher in a new age of individualized data-driven medicine.
The Patient Information Commons Standard Unification of Research Elements (PIC-SURE) platform integrates with several data registries, including 200,000 full genomes linked with clinical datasets. The Bioinformatics Systems Analyst will work directly with PIC-SURE partners which include BioData Catalyst, Cure Sickle Cell, Boston Children’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and Washington University in St. Louis. PIC-SURE provides a meta API and user interface, providing researchers an innovative and scalable solution to explore multiple heterogeneous sources of clinical and genomics data in a meaningful way.
Typical Core Duties
- Create and maintain R and Python examples
- Create and maintain documentation and examples showing researchers how to use the PIC-SURE client libraries in R and Python and other tools to assist in scientific analysis.
- Develop scientific use cases using phenotypic and genomic data types accessed through the PIC-SURE API client libraries in R and Python
- Create useful high level statistics operations that can be implemented by developers as part of PIC-SURE.
- Curate data concept paths and hierarchies to be more user friendly
- Performs preliminary analysis of genomic and phenotype data and format for use by other analysts.
- Troubleshooting quality control anomalies generated by automated pipelines.
- Perform ontology mapping across different datasets.
- Propose improvements and new uses for PIC-SURE
- Propose solutions to optimize the platform to better serve end-users.
- Collaborate with software developers to provide new feature requirements.
- Champion the PIC-SURE Ecosystem
- Demonstrate and present on PIC-SURE to the research community
- Contribute to scientific writing and creation of data figures to be included in research publications.
- Meet and discuss with researchers to identify analytical challenges and goals.
- 3 years of experience or Master’s Degree and 1 + years of experience.
- Proficiency with R and Python is compulsory.
- Experience developing scientific use cases using phenotypic and genomic data.
- Experience with SQL (Oracle PL-SQL or Postgres).
- Experience using Linux command-line utilities to manipulate data.
- Self-motivated and highly detail-oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A solution-focused attitude and ability to apply their skills to multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team of software developers, technical project manager, project manager, and post docs.
- Applicants will include a link to their GitHub with R and Python examples.