|Support Specialist provides on-site technical support to ensure events are successful in their use of AV technology on campus and online. Responsibilities include performing daily checks of AV systems, resolving assigned support tickets, monitoring and supporting AV events (on-site and online), documenting and reporting equipment and service failures. This position has a variable start time to cover required regular evening and weekend work to support the Executive MBA program and evening courses with both with AV and desktop support. Works independently and proactively in a fast paced, high pressure, and high-profile educational environment. Must be team oriented, flexible, and have excellent customer skills. Works on high profile classroom support and special event audio visual productions.|
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Standard AV Support
- Performs daily AV checks and remediation of AV systems
- Properly report AV issues/failures to appropriate team members
- specific AV Support
- Resolve assigned support tickets daily using workflow management system (ServiceNow)
- Coordinates with AV Manager for events that require dedicated AV technicians
- Assists in managing key AV systems (Monitoring and scheduling software, Video Recording and conferencing tools)
- Consults with clients and plans for the technical implementation of AV
- When requested, moderate courses/events on campus or virtually.
- Weekend Support for Executive MBA Program and Saturday classes
- Provides AV Monitoring and Support during EMBA weekends
- Assists in scheduling and technical planning for events
- Provides desktop support to students (PC/Mac)
- This position requires a variable start time to cover required regular evening and weekend work. A typical schedule is a 40-hour work with flexible weekdays with shifts of 7:30am-4:00pm and 11am -8pm. Weekly schedules will be clarified at least a week in advance and would likely be 3 day shifts and 2 evening shifts. Saturday shifts will be required.
- This position works with the Manager of AV Support Services to adjust their work schedule to accommodate the EMBA and other special events with at least two weeks of advanced notice.
- Reports to the Manager of AV Support Services
Qualifications & Skills:
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A highly skilled Learning Support Specialist with a minimum of 2 to 4 years of AV experience who is able to work independently and proactively in a fast paced, high pressure, and high-profile educational environment. Must be team oriented, flexible, and have excellent customer skills.
Has understanding of the following categories as well as a high level of knowledge of the other category as they relate to event support:
Video and Display Technology:
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Crestron control systems, Extron interfaces and matrix switchers, and other components used in video signal path.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of implementing various display technologies.
- Knowledge of emerging video technology including Laser illuminated projection, HD Base-T, AV over IP, UHD flat panels and video walls.
- Ability to set up, operate, and troubleshoot video cameras.
- Understanding and ability to use video patch bays to route signals.
- Deep understanding of audio gain structure, equalization, and microphone technology including wireless systems.
- Detailed knowledge of portable and installed sound systems.
- Deep knowledge of audio recording technology, file formats, simple editing, compression, and streaming.
- Strong knowledge of the fundaments of sound reinforcement and audio for conferencing and distance learning including technologies such as anti-echo, automated mic switching and beam forming microphones.
Also, must have the following skills and abilities:
Video Streaming and Conferencing Technologies
- Experience scheduling and supporting video recording and streaming platform such as Mediasite, Panopto, Yuja, or equivalent.
- Experience using and supporting web conferencing technologies such as WebEx, Zoom, Blue Jeans, etc.
- Experience using and supporting video conferencing codecs such as Cisco.
- Intermediate skill on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Proficiency in interfacing computers with various displays.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Office particularly PowerPoint presentation software.
- Proficiency in file transfer and interfacing computers with external hard drives and peripherals.
- Understanding of TCP/IP and FTP.
Relationship Management/Customer Service
- Strong demonstrated skills in building and maintaining stable working relationships with faculty, staff and students
- Experience providing direct technical customer support on the phone, online, and in person, including use of a ticketing or work tracking system.
- Excellent demonstrated client-facing oral and written technical communications skills. A positive, responsible and cooperative customer service attitude
- A high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and sensitivity to the needs of the academic/staff community
- Possess a professional work ethic and a willingness to maintain and increase applicable knowledge and skills
Must be able to lift 50lbs. Must be able to utilize ladders and/or mechanical lifts for maintenance of audio-visual equipment installed in overhead environments.
Graduation from high school required.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience providing AV technical support with a minimum of 2 years in a higher education environment
- The ability to demonstrate proficiency in soldering skills and safe use of selected hand and power tools used in the audio-visual industry is preferred.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Audio Visual or Information Technology field;
- AV related certification such as CTS
- Educated in ITIL best practices and experience applying