With so many IT professionals out of work in recent times, clients typically have countless candidates to choose from if they post an IT job. IT recruiting companies also have an abundant number of candidates at their disposal. With so many qualified people on the market, how do you find a job if you’re just starting out in the IT industry or changing careers?
Here are some suggestions our IT recruiters had to get the experience you need:
- Volunteer for a nonprofit. Nonprofits are always looking for extra help and during your spare time you can take on tasks that other companies might not let you try.
- Call up IT staffing agencies. Sometimes small agencies have not even thought about hiring interns and your initiative will show motivation.
- Go on LinkedIn. See whom you’re connected with and whether any of them have any small projects that they may need help on. Follow an IT staffing firm’s page. Find AVID: http://tinyurl.com/avidtrlinkedin.
- Follow IT recruiting companies’ websites for updated job postings
- Follow IT staffing agencies’ Facebook and/or Twitter pages for updated job postings. Find AVID: http://tinyurl.com/avidtrfacebook
- Utilize Indeed.com.
- Reconnect with past Professors. Professors are always in contact with various friends and companies so they are the perfect resource for finding a job or just working on a small project.
- Find someone who inspires you. Call that person and let them know your interested in their daily tasks. Most of the time they’ll be glad to have you shadow them or do an informational interview. This not only gives them an opportunity to show off what they do, but they’ll keep you as a contact and maybe down the line help you out.
- Join clubs or organizations. Depending on what you are looking for in experience, clubs allow you to work on various skills without the pressure of work.
- If you already have a job, try suggesting ideas for departments you are interested in. This will not only get you on the good side of your manager, but when you go apply for another job you can show initiative as well as experience in different areas of a business.
Have other ways of getting experience? Help our readers and leave us a comment.