- Work Ethic: Ultimately most successful IT recruiting companies have access to all of the major IT job boards such as Monster, CareerBuilder and Dice. Each IT recruiting firm is also likely to have a robust internal candidate database. Therefore, the placements typically go to the IT recruiter who works the hardest to find the best possible candidate for each position. To better define the meaning of hard work and the specific makeup of a “super recruiter,” successful IT recruiters typically share these common characteristics:
- First one in the office: Once again, due to the overwhelming number of IT recruiters around the country, a successful IT recruiter has to beat the competition to the best candidates on the market. This means they have to contact them first.
- Focused throughout the day: Most IT recruiting companies have more IT jobs than IT recruiters. Therefore, the best IT recruiters keep an eye out for all open positions and submit candidates to multiple IT job orders.
- Above & beyond: In today’s age, most people have access to work remotely. At AVID Technical Resources, our internal database is web-based and we provide all of our IT recruiter’s remote access to our IT job boards. Therefore, what our IT recruiters see in the office is also what they see in the comfort of their own home. This is important as it allows our IT recruiters the ability to work remotely. It can take hours to search for qualified IT candidates. Since there are only so many hours in the workday, the successful IT recruiters are those who take the time to search at night, then come into the office in the morning and contact each candidate who responds.
- Continually checking email: Good IT recruiters are tied to their smartphones. Unfortunately, in today’s age, for better or worse, the reality is that we’re all accessible virtually around the clock. Coupled with a highly competitive industry to find the most qualified candidates first, the best IT recruiters are those who continually check their email.
- Drive & Determination: An IT recruiter’s drive and determination will fuel their work ethic. Simply put, if the person isn’t driven to succeed, then it doesn’t matter how hard he or she works. Drive and determination will help technical recruiters persevere through the good and bad times in the IT recruiting industry. Clear and concise goals often fuel an IT recruiter’s drive to succeed. The individual should create these goals themselves. Regardless of how big (house, car, trip) or small (clothing, concert tickets, etc) in nature, it should be something personal that the IT recruiter strives for.
- Perseverance: This is a key component to a successful IT recruiter’s anatomy. The reality is that there are continual ups and downs in the IT recruiting world due to the fact that you’re working with people. A candidate can be available today, then off the market tomorrow. A person can be happy with their job in one instant, then decide to resign (or even worse, not show up) the next.Therefore, those who persevere often do well in the IT staffing industry.
- Organization: Although there is no substitute for hard work and the drive to succeed, remaining organized in the IT recruiting industry is a critical component to success. An average IT recruiter talks to 25-50 prospective technology professionals every day. If he or she doesn’t file those candidates in a system in which they can easily find them in the future, then they will lose out on the placement. The consequences are detrimentally significant. Not only do the IT recruiter and the IT staffing company lose out on the revenue, but the candidates themselves lose out on an opportunity that could have changed their lives. This is just one example. If the IT recruiter is so unorganized that he or she cannot find any candidates, then you can compound these ramifications by 10 times, 100 times, etc. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter how an IT recruiter organizes himself or herself. It doesn’t matter what system they use. It just matters that they have the ability to create a system, and then stick to it. No candidate should ever fall through the cracks. That is our motto at AVID Technical Resources.
- Relationship Building: The key to any sales position is being likable and having the ability to build relationships. For the most part, people buy from whom they like. Believe it or not, the IT recruiting industry is no different. All things being equal, a candidate might choose the contract IT job opportunity with the IT recruiter they enjoyed working with most. Additional benefits of building strong relationships include:
- Referrals: The candidate is more prone to refer the IT recruiter to additional friends or colleagues in the industry.
- Reliability: The candidate is less likely to back out of a job opportunity or leave without providing professional notice.
- Positive Feedback: The candidate will likely be more prone to speak highly about the IT recruiter and/or their respective IT staffing firm to their direct client manager. This could lead to the repeat business or even a referral to another client hiring manager or a peer at a different company. The bottom line is that good things happen when an IT recruiter always looks to put his or her best foot forward. As a result, IT recruiters who build strong relationships have the ability to drive additional revenue and ultimately create a domino affect of positive consequences.
- Communication: Communication is a critical component to any successful job placement. The IT recruiter must first take the IT job information and accurately communicate that to the prospective candidate. There cannot be any exaggerated or misleading details. The IT recruiter must be transparent with all of the facts. Conversely, the technical recruiter must thoroughly qualify each candidate, and then communicate the person’s experience, situation and interest level to the client. The very best IT recruiters in the IT staffing industry are those who over-communicate the needs of the client to the candidate, and the candidate’s experience/situation to the client.
- Honesty/Integrity: If there is a black mark on the IT recruiting industry it’s simply the fact that IT recruiters will only call candidates when they need them (i.e. when they can make money off of the candidate). More specifically, IT recruiters don’t call candidates back when they don’t get the job. They only call them when they do. This approach not only strains the IT staffing industry, it makes each candidate reluctant to work with technical recruiters in the future. Good IT recruiters call everyone back. Good IT recruiters are open and honest about every prospective opportunity. Good IT recruiters simply treat others the way they would want to be treated in return.
AVID Technical Resources
AVID (Applications, Voice, Internet, Data) Technical Resources is a leading Information Technology recruiting company. Specializing in placing contract and permanent personnel in both Infrastructure Support and Applications Development positions, AVID has a national presence supporting clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies. Headquartered in Boston, MA, AVID has achieved tremendous growth since the firm's inception in 2003. This has triggered numerous national awards and recognition, such as being named to Inc. 500 Magazine's list of 5,000 Fastest Growing Privately-held Companies in the US in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Additionally, the firm boasts of having more than 100 five-star reviews on Google from clients and candidates who rave about their experience and interaction with the firm's recruiters.