As IT recruiters, we’re constantly meeting with prospective candidates and IT hiring managers. Typically our first interaction with each is a handshake. As we’ve all been told, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Therefore, here are some tips to make sure you put your best foot forward from the very start:
1. Make sure you greet and introduce yourself briefly before extending your hand for a shake.
2. When shaking the hiring manager’s hand, make sure to stand up if you’re not already standing. This is a clear sign of respect.
3. When shaking the hiring managers hand, look him or her in the eyes.
4. Try to have a firm grip but not too forceful. The hiring manager does not want to know how strong you are but how qualified you are for the IT job.
5. Only use one hand. Shaking with both hands is a bit excessive. The hiring manager will find that you are being too personal.
6. Sweaty hands. If the hiring manager’s hands are sweaty, do not wipe your hands immediately. Most likely they are aware of their hands and it will embarrass them if they see you wipe your hands. When you sit down find a moment when you can wipe your hand without being noticed.
7. More importantly, make sure your hands aren’t sweaty!
For more tips and advice, contact one of our IT recruiters today. They’re IT staffing industry experts and will help prepare you for your next IT job interview.
AVID Technical Resources
AVID (Applications, Voice, Internet, Data) Technical Resources is a leading Information Technology recruiting company. Specializing in placing contract and permanent personnel in both Infrastructure Support and Applications Development positions, AVID has a national presence supporting clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies. Headquartered in Boston, MA, AVID has achieved tremendous growth since the firm's inception in 2003. This has triggered numerous national awards and recognition, such as being named to Inc. 500 Magazine's list of 5,000 Fastest Growing Privately-held Companies in the US in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Additionally, the firm boasts of having more than 100 five-star reviews on Google from clients and candidates who rave about their experience and interaction with the firm's recruiters.