I may sound like a strange analogy, but IT recruiting can be a lot like fishing. The more lines you have in the water (calls/emails), the better your odds of landing that big fish (a highly sought after IT consultant). From both an IT recruiters Boston standpoint and IT staffing salespersons, ultimately the technical recruiting industry is a numbers game. For technical recruiters, the more candidates you reach out to, the better the odds of uncovering a bulls-eye for your client or possibly coming up with a referral that will land you the “big fish.” From an IT staffing sales perspective, the more cold calls you put out, the better your chance of landing the “big client.”
Must like any sales driven service industry, being successful in the IT recruitment industry starts with high activity and receiving the proper training. The following are the most important traits of successful technical recruiters and salespeople:
1) High activity (calls and emails): You can add other intangibles, such as networking, etc, but there is no substitute for activity. Ever.
2) Organization: You can make 500 calls in a day – it won’t do you much good if you’re not organized and can stay on top of who to call and when.
3) Follow up: Whether you’re following up with candidates that you’ve spoken to or calling IT managers, follow up/persistence is critical.
4) Writing Ability: In today’s information technology age, emails are the most widely used form of communication. Therefore, writing skills are critical. Poor worded emails lose credibility. Credibility separates technical recruiters Boston and IT staffing salespeople from the competition.
5) Building relationships: Simply put, people buy, and sometimes even pick their next IT contract, from whom they like.
Most important, the key to being successful in the IT recruiting industry is work ethic/drive. Without this, people fade out, or get out, pretty quickly.
AVID Technical Resources
AVID (Applications, Voice, Internet, Data) Technical Resources is a leading Information Technology recruiting company. Specializing in placing contract and permanent personnel in both Infrastructure Support and Applications Development positions, AVID has a national presence supporting clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies. Headquartered in Boston, MA, AVID has achieved tremendous growth since the firm's inception in 2003. This has triggered numerous national awards and recognition, such as being named to Inc. 500 Magazine's list of 5,000 Fastest Growing Privately-held Companies in the US in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Additionally, the firm boasts of having more than 100 five-star reviews on Google from clients and candidates who rave about their experience and interaction with the firm's recruiters.