What to do and what to say in an IT job interview are both age-old questions. Take it from these IT recruiters, and adhere to the following list of no-no’s with any technical job interview:
1) Don’t be late: While there’s no excuse for being late for an IT job interview (give yourself 2 extra hours to make it to an IT recruiting firm or client company), sometimes there are extreme traffic or public transportation delays out of your control. If you’re faced with being late, contact your technical recruiters or interviewer immediately to let him or her know you’re running late.
2) Don’t dress casually: Even if you know the client is business casual or even less formal, first impressions are critical to any technical job placement. Therefore, always play it safe and wear a suit (unless your IT headhunters or hiring manager tells you otherwise).
3) Don’t call the IT recruiters or interviewers by the wrong name: Trick of the trade, ask for business cards after you sit down and place them in front of you based on where the technical recruiters or hiring managers are sitting.
4) Don’t bad mouth a past employer or boss: This not only makes you look bitter, it makes the technical recruiter or hiring manager question the real reason why you left your last position. Also, it’s a small world, there’s always a chance the IT recruiters Boston or client knows that person (or worse is related!).
5) Don’t leave the interview without asking what the next steps are: While this isn’t a tragic error, our IT recruiters MA included this “don’t” to stress the importance of leaving with a follow up/timeline. Try to close the deal while you have the opportunity to sit in front of the IT staffing agency or client company!
AVID Technical Resources
AVID (Applications, Voice, Internet, Data) Technical Resources is a leading Information Technology recruiting company. Specializing in placing contract and permanent personnel in both Infrastructure Support and Applications Development positions, AVID has a national presence supporting clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies. Headquartered in Boston, MA, AVID has achieved tremendous growth since the firm's inception in 2003. This has triggered numerous national awards and recognition, such as being named to Inc. 500 Magazine's list of 5,000 Fastest Growing Privately-held Companies in the US in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Additionally, the firm boasts of having more than 100 five-star reviews on Google from clients and candidates who rave about their experience and interaction with the firm's recruiters.